Coaching Opportunity: Head Coach, Junior Provincial Wheelchair Basketball Program
ONPARA is currently seeking a passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated individual to fulfill the role of Head Coach for the Team Ontario Junior wheelchair basketball program over the next four years leading up to the 2023 Canada Winter Games.
Position: Head Coach, Junior Provincial Wheelchair Basketball Program
Position Type: 1 year contract with subsequent full-season renewals leading up to the 2023 Canada Winter Games
Job Region: Ontario – as well as travel to Junior Regional and National events
Application Deadline: Monday August 12, 2019
The Head Coach is responsible for leading the preparation, training, development, and coaching of the Junior Provincial Team in advance of and during the Junior Regional Championship, Junior National Championship, and the 2023 Canada Winter Games. The Head Coach will work with the ONPARA Manager, High Performance to design, implement, and analyze the Junior Provincial Wheelchair Basketball Program. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing mentorship and guidance to the Assistant Coach and other coaches-in-training involved with the program.
- Design and develop the Junior Provincial Wheelchair Basketball Program for the 2019-2023 cycle, with support from ONPARA’s Manager, High Performance.
- Identify High Performance athletes in Ontario for development toward Provincial and National teams.
- Develop and maintain a targeted athlete list with testing scores and other documentation.
- Develop, communicate, and implement clear, fair, and objective Athlete Selection Criteria at the beginning of each season.
- Oversee athlete testing procedures and the overall selection process at the beginning of each season.
- Design and execute effective training and practice plans that enhance and develop athletes’ skills and knowledge.
- Provide a safe, inclusive, and welcoming environment for all athletes, coaches, volunteers, etc.
- Select the Assistant Coach and additional Program Coaches.
- Contribute to the development of Athlete Selection Criteria and athlete nominations as part of the Ontario Athlete Assistance Program (OAAP) ‘Quest For Gold’ Selection Committee.
- Work in partnership with Wheelchair Basketball Canada and ONPARA to plan and implement the annual Ontario High Performance Camp.
- Promote the positive benefits of participation in wheelchair basketball as a fully inclusive sport.
- Contribute to the fostering and development of positive team culture.
- Submit a detailed summary/report to ONPARA’s Manager, High Performance following the conclusion of each season.
- Work with ONPARA’s Manager, High Performance, Wheelchair Basketball Canada, the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario and other stakeholders to ensure athletes progress along an aligned high performance pathway.
- NCCP Wheelchair Basketball ‘Competition Development’ certification (or demonstrated plan to obtain certification)
- Knowledge of Rowan’s Law and concussion protocols for coaches
- Standard First Aid certification, or plans to obtain certification
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated passion for the sport of wheelchair basketball
- Experience running and administering a wheelchair basketball team or program
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Willingness to adapt and make adjustments to plans as necessary
- Desire to represent Ontario and ONPARA in a manner that is positive, professional, and in accordance with ONPARA’s values and policies
- Ability to travel as required for program delivery
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required for program delivery
- Travel expenses for all Junior Provincial Program identification, selection, and training camps, and other approved training and/or competitive opportunities.
- Travel and accommodations at Junior Regional and National Championships.
- Honourarium to be paid following the applicable year-end championship event
(e.g. Junior Regionals, Junior Nationals, Canada Games).
How to Apply:
All interested candidates must submit the following documentation to the Ontario Para Network in order to be considered for the role of Head Coach, Junior Provincial Wheelchair Basketball Program:
- Cover Letter
- NCCP Transcript
- Plan to obtain the desired level of NCCP certification (if applicable)
Documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Coach candidates will be contacted regarding potential interview dates following the application deadline.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS is Monday August 12, 2019
About the Ontario Para Network
Formerly known as the Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association, our mission at the Ontario Para Network (ONPARA) is together with our partners, to grow awareness and opportunities for adaptive sports in Ontario. As the governing body for three wheelchair sports in the province, we strive to increase opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in wheelchair athletics, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, and wheelchair tennis at recreational, competitive, and high performance levels.