Job Opportunity: Program Coordinator, Wheelchair Basketball
OWSA seeks full-time Coordinator
The Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association is seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to coordinate wheelchair basketball grassroots initiatives.
Position: Program Coordinator, Wheelchair Basketball
Term: Full time – 1 year contract with potential for ongoing renewal
Location: ON – Metro Toronto Area with travel across the Greater Toronto Area
Application Deadline: September 14, 2018
Experience: Minimum 1-year relevant post secondary education or experience in recreation & leisure, sport and event management, recreation therapy, physical education, or related discipline. Experience working with athletes with disabilities is an asset.
Position: The successful, motivated and enthusiastic candidate will be responsible for coordinating and managing grassroots wheelchair basketball programs. The Program Coordinator will also be responsible for facilitating the rental component of our wheelchair basketball schools program. The schools program is an outreach and education program designed to introduce teachers and students to the sport of wheelchair basketball. The program is currently funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation. Armed with sport wheelchairs and resource guides, the Program Coordinator will visit schools in the Greater Toronto Area to teach wheelchair basketball FUNdamentals. The long-term goal of the schools program is to increase participation in wheelchair basketball while contributing to the development of tournaments and leagues.
Specific Duties will include:
- Work with educators to integrate wheelchair basketball into their school’s curriculum.
- Deliver introductory wheelchair sport skills sessions to students and “teach the teacher” how to integrate wheelchair basketball into their week’s activities.
- Inform teachers and students about community-based wheelchair basketball programming and participation opportunities in their area.
- Liaise with school boards, educators and administrators to develop and implement school-based “try it” days, tournaments and 3-on-3 leagues.
- Administer surveys, collect feedback and testimonials and track reporting data from participating schools.
Coordinate recruitment and orientation of program volunteers
- Establish relationships with wheelchair basketball team representatives, club representatives, coaches and athletes.
- Identify needs and deliver programming, workshops and or one-day events in targeted clubs, communities, recreational facilities or schools.
- Coordinate and oversee the division 3 (recreational) league and skill-development opportunities targeting recreational athletes.
- Develop and maintain athlete lists.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Program development and coordination experience
- Outgoing personality and ability to network, build and develop partnerships
- Strong and effective group facilitation skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel and work off-site as required for program delivery
- Experience working with athletes with disabilities a definite asset
- Valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle is a must as weekly travel to GTA schools is a requirement of the position.
How to apply
Please forward your application including resume and cover letter by September 14, 2018 to:
Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association
We thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is made possible through funding from the Ontario Trillium Foundation.